LeahMcGregor

Does anyone have a Pit Bull that is their service dog or training one?

Leah

Be the first person to like this.
heather91184
My apbt is currently being trained to bmy PTSD service dog. He's 2yo and my bff. Were having a really hard time but we r both very strong. The pitty spirit is that of a soldier, never give up never give in and never leave a fellow soldier behind. I believe in the power of the way you can bond with a dog. N how u rely n lean on them.
Currently me n my battle buddy r at a stand still but we know that we r a team.we like it was stated before are feeling the financial strain of training. I love him tho n we r a team! Please n e one with suggestions ideas or help feel free to contact me at heather91184@gmail.com
Last update on May 16, 2:38 am by heather91184.
1 person likes this.
skye
I live in Miami pit bulls are not welcomed here and I refuse to let mine go she but besides that I wanted Dog that could handle my playful son and help me so I choose a pit bull I'm looking for medical alert dog training for her. I had bring surgery last year and I pass out a lot does any one know where I can get her trained?
Skye most service dogs are actually trained by their owners. There is actually very little in the way of outside supportive services for Service Dog training and the majority of it is for common issues like blindness. The Americans With Disabilities Act however doe not require official training from an outside source in order for your dog to be recognized as a Service Dog. As long as you can work with your dog to assist you in your medical needs then it can be considered a Service Dog. Because you do live in a place that is not friendly to Pit Bulls you should undertake this ASAP. If you can show your dog is an actual Service Dog then it can not be seized even in places that do not allow Pit Bulls. Federal law trumps local law. If your dog is a Service Dog and they seize it you can then carry a legal suit against them under the Americans With Disabilities Act.
2 people like this.
skye
So far I got her puppy training done I have someone helping do all the basic training I think I'm headed in the right direction hopefully.
1 person likes this.
Make sure to keep documents and all other proof to her training. In some states simply being in training is enough to afford you the same protection as if the dog is already a Service Dog and other states it is not. You will just want to make sure you have as much evidence in your favor as possible IF it is needed. Also until you do feel that your dog can actually qualify for Service Dog status I would not personally push the boundaries by taking her out in public. That just creates unnecessary risk and could lead to her being seized and euthanized.

APBR Smile
Fishfinder

I enjoyed reading up on this. I have been wondering about this topic as to I have a couple of non visible disabilities. We just got a new pup this is 13 weeks and we have a 2 year old male. I have wanted to get them trained to be service dogs. I want them ready as my disabilities get worse over the years. Thank you for sharing.
Last update on December 14, 9:50 am by Fishfinder.
1 person likes this.
Angie Langoehr
I am currently training my pit pup as a mobility service dog...she's doing wonderful. She helps me keep balance and will even bring my medicine to me.....we are truly one together. She's only 15 weeks and I Have her socialized as well as obedience trained...she is completely house broke as well...welcomed everywhere I go and I must say everyone is so surprised by her they can't believe shes a pit bull....she is great with all animals and children as well as infants and adults. My doctors even love her. I am so proud of our progress its unreal she is a registered service dog in training and I plan to get her CGC award when shes of age.
Last update on April 26, 9:56 am by Angie Langoehr.
1 person likes this.
David W Jervis
How do i register my dog as emotional support dog.. how much does it cost and where can i get the paper work.. what training skills does he need, to be a Emotional Support Dog..
To qualify a dog as a Service Dog the person using it (or intended to use it) must first be diagnosed with a condition that warrants use. For example, if you are diagnosed with PTSD you have a diagnosed condition. Next is to have a Dr. confirm that a service dog would/could provide benefit. When this is the case they can actually write a prescription in many cases.

Then comes training. Most Service Dogs are actually trained by their owners as the training is relevant to the condition of diagnosis. Some dogs do receive training from organizations that specialize in certain types of training such as seeing eye dogs but this is by far the minority.

The cost for training from organizations can be upwards of 50K in mnay cases, this is subsidized or otherwise donated usually. This is another reason why most are owner trained. Being trained by an owner is still not cheap as various levels of basic training are needed, which is handled in many cases by general trainers. Also, theere is the cost of time. All Service Dogs require a huge amount of time to train and in fact the process is never ending and thus does require a huge commitment by an owner.

APBR Smile
The American's With Disabilities Act - ADA does not require that a Service Dog be registered in order to be recognized. Any municipality or organization that uses such a standard is not compliant with Federal Law and can actually be sued on the basis of discrimination.

The important factors in determining a Service Dog are 1. Is the individual using the dog diagnosed with a disability 2. Can the dog perform functions to assist with a designated disability. If the answer is yes to both then that person has rights to use the dog as a Service Dog without discrimination.

APBR Smile
David W Jervis

The American's With Disabilities Act - ADA does not require that a Service Dog be registered in order to be recognized. Any municipality or organization that uses such a standard is not compliant with Federal Law and can actually be sued on the basis of discrimination.

The important factors in determining a Service Dog are 1. Is the individual using the dog diagnosed with a disability 2. Can the dog perform functions to assist with a designated disability. If the answer is yes to both then that person has rights to use the dog as a Service Dog without discrimination.

APBR Smile

So you saying you dont need any papers saying he's a service dog? I thought you needed some kind of ID for that..Like i said this all new to me
What we are saying is that no paperwork is necessary for a dog to be recognized as a Service Dog. What is necessary is that the person has an actual disability and that the dog actually be able to provide service work.

We offer a certification member for their Pit Bull Sevice dogs. This is not to certify them as Service Dogs but merely a certification that the person using them is claiming the dog is qualified for service work and that they (the person) meets the disability requirements of the ADA that would qualify them to use a Service Dog. It is to certify we recognize the persons use and right to use such dogs for Service work. It is a free service we offer our members who do use Pit Bulls as Service Dogs to give them a more formal recognition and bring greater positive awareness to the breed and the value it can provide to those is the disabled community.

APBR Smile
1 person likes this.
David W Jervis

What we are saying is that no paperwork is necessary for a dog to be recognized as a Service Dog. What is necessary is that the person has an actual disability and that the dog actually be able to provide service work.

We offer a certification member for their Pit Bull Sevice dogs. This is not to certify them as Service Dogs but merely a certification that the person using them is claiming the dog is qualified for service work and that they (the person) meets the disability requirements of the ADA that would qualify them to use a Service Dog. It is to certify we recognize the persons use and right to use such dogs for Service work. It is a free service we offer our members who do use Pit Bulls as Service Dogs to give them a more formal recognition and bring greater positive awareness to the breed and the value it can provide to those is the disabled community.

APBR Smile

I like your style .. I'm training my puppy now with basic training but later i'm teach him to help me around the house a lil with picking some stuff up. you guys are great!!
1 person likes this.
Every process begins with a first step. If you can keep to a long term training schedule and regularly add more work activities you will have a dog that is capable of many things in no time. We wish you best of luck as there can never be too many good breed ambassadors.

APBR Smile
2 people like this.